As one of the top federal criminal defense law firms in Cleveland, we have spent more than 30 years successfully representing state and federal cases related to homicide. This is one of the most serious and damaging charges a defendant can face. If you or someone you know is under investigation, under arrest or implicated for homicide, you should find an experienced criminal defense attorney to guide you before speaking with police, investigators, or federal agents. A skilled federal criminal defense lawyer will assist in protection your constitutional rights and in properly preparing an aggressive defense.
The federal government takes homicide extremely seriously. Arrests and crimes of this nature can result in lengthy sentences and impact every aspect of the lives of those convicted. Murder-related charges are different, depending on the circumstances of the crime and intention of the offender. Homicide offenses defined by the Ohio Revised Code include:
- Murder: Intentionally causing the death of another person or terminating another’s pregnancy unlawfully
- Aggrevated Murder: Causing the death of another person or unlawfully terminating the pregnancy of another person intentionally and with prior intention. This term also applies when the victim is less than 13 years of age or a law enforcement officer in Ohio.
- Voluntary Manslaughter: Intentionally and knowingly causing the death of another person or unlawfully terminating the pregnancy of another person while in a fit of rage or passion, by serious provocation of the victim, or with a sexual motivation.
- Involuntary Manslaughter: Causing the death of another or the unlawful termination of another’s pregnancy as the result of committing or attempting to commit a felony or misdemeanor of any degree.
- Reckless Homicide: Reckless behavior resulting in the death of another person or the unlawful termination of another person’s pregnancy.
- Negligent Homicide: Negligent use of a weapon resulting in the death of another or unlawful termination of another’s pregnancy.
- Vehicular Homicide: The use of a motor vehicle, motorcycle, aircraft, or other vehicle which results in the death of another or unlawful termination of another’s pregnancy. Related charges include aggravated vehicular homicide and vehicular manslaughter.
We have the experience and expertise required to fiercely represent you and defend your right. Charges for murder and homicide can have considerable effects on those arrested or charged. The consequences of charges vary and also carry a severe stigma that those accused or charged with often cannot overcome. A strong and aggressive defense in court can ensure your fair treatment. The specific and unique circumstances of your particular situation will determine the best defense strategy. Again, depending on your situation, we can work to have evidence suppressed, the charges or sentencing reduced, or to have the charges dismissed. Otherwise, you could face extended incarceration, expensive fines, damage to your reputation, and difficulty in other aspects of your life.
Find an Attorney for Murder in Cleveland
If you or someone you know is facing charges, is implicated, or under arrest for murder, Cleveland homicide criminal defense attorney Craig Weintraub can prepare a high-quality, aggressive defense on your behalf – for a reasonable rate.